PUBLIC SAFETY TELECOMMUNICATOR II
City of Garland, Texas
Responsible for receiving, analyzing, classifying and directing all incoming 911 emergency and administrative calls in order to coordinate the dispatch of emergency police, fire and other public safety equipment. Also responsible for the assignment, organization, and safety of field units responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Receive and respond to emergency and non-emergency telephone calls including calls from the public, dispatchers, and law enforcement agencies using telephones, radio systems, and computer-aided dispatch (CAD) systems.
- Process and evaluate information received and dispatch law enforcement and/or Fire/EMS, consider call priority, availability and the number and types of personnel needed.
- Monitor and control the movement of field units and provide appropriate and effective coverage in response to public safety emergencies.
- Maintain and validate data in local, state and national computerized databases including the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and the Texas Crime Information Center (TCIC).
- Correspond or communicate with other Cities, agencies, etc to confirm or request information of a valid offense report or other law enforcement matters.
- Act as a liaison between the Garland Police and Fire Departments and other City departments and/or City or Government agencies.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and logs of all radio transmissions, telephone calls and other records and files.
- Satisfactorily complete training on three (3) radio disciplines.
- Perform administrative duties as needed or requested.
- Must be United States of America citizen at the time of application (State licensing requirement)
- High School Diploma or G.E.D equivalent
- 1 year public safety call taker experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Must be able to satisfactorily complete background investigation, polygraph, dispatcher candidate exam; psychological evaluations; interviews; drug screening, and demonstrated knowledge of a computer keyboard. Ability to type 35 words per minute while multitasking.
- 6 months advanced training or coursework past the high school level
- Up to one year of experience as a Dispatcher, Communication Specialist, Customer Service or similar position in a communication or dispatch center
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of public service activity and methods of local government
- Basic knowledge of computer technology and equipment
- Basic knowledge of law enforcement terminology and procedures
- Basic knowledge of geography for the City of Garland and surrounding areas
- Basic knowledge of English language for spelling and proper word usage
- Skill in coordinating mental, manual and visual activities simultaneously
- Skill in observing situations analytically and objectively and relaying details accurately
- Skill in communicating using two-way radio, telephone equipment
- Skill in reading and interpreting maps to determine locations and jurisdictional boundaries
- Ability to multitask and demonstrate appropriate judgment on the spot
- Ability to work under pressure and during emergency situations and react quickly to signals, unexpected situations and/or emergencies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Police Department personnel, other City employees, outside law enforcement agencies and the public
- Ability to type 35 words per minute while multitasking
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid State of Texas Class C Driver’s License
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Telecommunicator License or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hire
- Texas Department of Safety (DPS) National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/ Texas Crime Information Center (TCIC) certification required or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hire
- Medical Priority Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) license and certification required or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hire
- CPR Certification required or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hire
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards; may be exposed to emotionally upset or argumentative individuals via the telephone; work is performed in a fast paced, high volume call center environment.